Monday, January 2, 2012

Here's to 2012



Had a great Christmas with my hubs and both boys, Alec (17) and...Christopher (23).  He lives in Richmond VA and flew down Thursday before Christmas and stayed until Monday late afternoon. I only get to see him a few times a year, so him coming 'home' for Christmas was a special treat. The fact he is in the hospitality industry (Chef) and he was able to get a few days off, wow. I know how hard it is being in the service/hospitality biz 'cause I rarely get a day off! And with Christmas falling on a Sunday, the next day it was back to work. Augh.

Usually on New Year's Eve I am helping out at one or two of my retailers, and helping out at night at one of my restaurants (I'm good at taking drink orders, haha). However, I decided that I needed some down time after busting butt for the last 5 weeks (I sell more wine and beer during December than in any other month). So NO deliveries until Friday this week...customers will just have to 'deal.' Wine Diva here needs FRIEND time!

For the first time in years, and I mean YEARS....I celebrated New Year's with friends. Normally I am so tired on New Year's Eve, I just crash. Not this year. We joined some close friends (we are known as the 'Blings') at a very nice country club (literally up the hill from where we live) and we rang in the New Year with fabulous food, great entertainment, and a classy environment to boot! No large crowds of drunks, just a few silly society women who had too many martinis, lol. I said there was good entertainment, right? :D My hubs was designated driver as always, and we all got home safe.

David (aka Zsa), me (aka Bella) and handsome hubs Ken (aka Armand)

Dave (professional Sinatra singer-very talented guy!), his wife Ginny, my best guy friend David and Fran (aka Kiddy)

Valerie (aka Coco), Ken, Becky (aka Bubbles), Joe (aka Dom) and Fran



Joe (aka Dom)
 Best Friend Wendy!

New Year's Day was fun, had a few friends over for traditional foods - gotta have those black-eyed peas and collard greens! I decided to get creative and made a few fun sauces: used home-made pear preserves blended with crisped bacon, sautéed onion and garlic, added a bit of dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and bended it all then heated it. Served that with the herb crusted pork tenderloin. Made a second chutney/sauce with some home-made cranberry strawberry preserves and added balsamic vinegar - lovely with the smoked ham. A sweet-potato 'hash' with diced apple, onion, garlic and bacon was delish. We all had too much to eat, and spent the rest of the day and evening sitting by the fire drinking plenty of good wine and chatting. Such a lovely day!!

Today - catching up on chores, putting away rest of Christmas decorations, hanging out with my handsome hubs, playing with my new iPad2, and gearing up for the work week that starts tomorrow. Back to the grind!



2 comments:

  1. hi tami
    found you reading leigh frosts blog and would like to know where you rented your car in gye. i heading there for the month of march.

    connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Connie,
    We rented at Budget, GYE airport. Made reservations ahead of time, however, those were a bit screwy and hubby had to correct things. It is MUCH easier to do from the US than waiting until you are in EC. They have lots of discounts avail, but you need to make sure they apply those discounts when you get a confirmation . And, Just know that you will spend some time at the counter. Use that time for one of you to get a phone card. Bring an old unlocked phone and you can slip a prepaid sim card in it. Movistar is a few shops up from the rental car place. Grab a bite to eat, watch a movie, nah, just kidding, it didn't take THAT long :) Make sure you get the directions down pat as to where you are going from there as the map that is provided does NOT give you all the details!

    Have fun on your trip!! I can't wait until I am there again in May!
    Tami

    ReplyDelete